Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instructions

4 posters

Go down

Instructions Empty Instructions

Post  Admin Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:22 am

This week, weŕe reading the first topic, Part I - Paradigms and Principles - INSIDE OUT. Only pages 6 and 7.

Suggestions of what I hope to read in the Forum:

* Vocabulary doubts;
* Your favorite quotation, with your personal interpretation;
* Your general understanding of the text, in your own words, what you grasped from the text and considered relevant in your life;
* Personal examples.

You don't have to do all these taks, but if each one of us chooses at least one, I'm sure all four suggestions will be done eventually.

Admin
Admin

http://mazzy3008.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Instructions Empty Part one

Post  anafaust Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:06 pm

The part of the text that I like most was one of the examples of problems that people have. It shows a person that is very stressed because there’s a lot of things to do, but he doesn’t have enough time. Then, he feels pressured all the time.
I think nowadays it’s a problem that affect all of us. We don’t have time for anything, but we keep acumulating functions and doing more than we really can do. Our life style says to us that we have to produce more, learn more, and we just can’t stop because if we do, other people are ready to get our chance.

I think all the problems that is in text are present in our lifes. Every day we all do the same questions. We ask to ourselves if we’re doing the right or the wrong things. Despite of this, we just don’t change our life style.

Vocabulary doubts:
toward
inner hunger
outcome
throughout

anafaust

Back to top Go down

Instructions Empty True!

Post  Admin Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 pm

You're so right...
I think that being extremely busy is the most common problem for all of us nowadays... We have a hectic lifestyle, and sometimes we become sad when we realize that we are dedicating so much time to our work and study, and there's nothing left for our family and friends...

But for me, the most meaningful part was the one that said "sometimes I wonder if what I'm doing will make a difference in the long run. I'd really like to think there was meaning in my life, that somehow things were different because I was here."
I think everybody wants to make a difference in the world. We want to be remembered. What if we disappear tomorrow? Will our presence in this Earth be remembered? Will we be regarded as someone who changed things, who made a difference?

I like to believe that I do make a difference, and that's why I work so hard, that's why I try to be the best teacher I can, that's why I volunteer in as many projects as I can, that's why I help as many animals as I can... This is my way of feeling useful.

About your vocabulary doubts:
toward - in the direction of
inner hunger - a really strong desire
outcome - result, consequence
throughout - all over

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Instructions Empty Re: Instructions

Post  bsalvador Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Sometimes, I identified myself with this phrase:

"I just can't seem to keep a promise I make to myself".

Sometimes It's difficult to me to keep a promise I made myself. Promises like: to study more, to learn more, to do something different...Always time is the problem. A feel I need do organize my day better to achieve my goals.

I had a doubt with this vocabulary:

gabbing at the water fountain

I imagine it's an expression, isn't it?

Thanks!

Barbara

bsalvador

Back to top Go down

Instructions Empty Gabbing at the water fountain

Post  Admin Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:57 pm

Hey!

To gab means to talk idly or incessantly, as about trivial matters.
So when we say that somebody is gabbing at the water fountain, means they keep talking about "stupid" matters at their coffee break.
If you have a water fountain where you work, or a coffee machine, you are familiar with this situation: people that take a lot of breaks during work hours just to stay next to the water fountain gossiping!!!

I hope I made it clear.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Carol Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:11 pm

Hello

I agree with Barbara in her choice of phrase, I feel the same way,and to complement
the phrase that I chose:

"I'm busy - really busy. But sometimes I wonder if what I'm doing will make
a difference in the long run" Shocked

Why it kill yourself to get the things we desire so much? Question
Will it really make a difference long run?

But, I forget sometimes, and i just have less time for the things to do.

Carol

Back to top Go down

Post  marcel1nh4__ Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:41 pm

I think that this text did make the most of us stop and thinking: This is true, I’m really leaving things aside and killing me in make things that I don’t know if are really importants, or what I want really.

I, at least, me identified very much with this, many times I already talked for myself: ‘I will call for my friend’; or ‘ I will visit my friend, because make a long time that I don’t see his/her, but I never make this, because I always have things to do, and this things don’t can be postponed, but my friends can be left aside.

I hate this, because I know that I’m wrong, but I don’t get change.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

marcel1nh4__

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum